“Serving Size And Portion Size”
Serving Size: Over time our consumption of food has gotten out of control as seen by the increase in obesity rates one of the reasons is that we have made portions of food bigger and bigger.
What a serving size is:
If we look at what a serving size is supposed to be versus what a portion size actually is the core difference is staggering to let’s take a look at a few examples starting with a bowl of lucky charms cereal most people grab a bowl village near the top and then add milk one serving size is actually three quarters a cup of the cereal.
According to the serving size section, half a cup non fat milk would provide a hundred and fifty total kelly hundred.
Ten for the stereo and forty from the mill the full bowl of cereal and milk total four hundred and forty-eight calories so a hundred and fifty calories versus four hundred and forty-eight calories.
Serving Size & Total Calories Count Examples:
- How about a turkey sandwich with two slices of bread frozen turkey on there may be a couple of places that I made up because we’re eating healthy and finish it off with manning when we ended up we have a total of four hundred and thirty-two calories.
- Now let’s look at it from the recommended serving size much less meat and of course much less mayo and we were a total of two hundred and ninety-seven cal so again two hundred and ninety-seven calories versus four hundred and thirty-two cal.
- How about some chicken and steamed brown rice one cup of dean brown rice for two hundred and sixteen calories three and a half ounces of chicken hundred and fifty calories totaling three hundred and sixty-six calories but we oftentimes just filled a plate up with rice and much more chicken for a total of six hundred and eighty so three a hundred and sixty-six calories versus six hundred and eighty calories we can’t forget about that mickey d’s has her popular value meals and here we had a meal number two cheeseburgers a fry in a coke three hundred to thirty plus one seventy.
- A total of one thousand calories downgrade to diet coke and now it’s eight hundred and thirty counts still a huge calorie him these are just a few examples of how large portions have gotten and how quickly those large portions are adding extra calories in our diet.
It’s always a good idea to look at the serving size on food labels:
Give yourself a general idea of how many calories you’re consuming most people are shocked at their calorie consumption when they do this plate size can also be a major factor in controlling portions that one study showed that using a ten-inch play versus a twelve-inch plate and resulted in people eating twenty-two percent fewer calories.
it also estimated that if people did this for one year the average weight loss would be about eighteen pounds having just a general idea of serving sizes and extra portion sizes can have a huge impact on not over-consuming and maybe you will be able to help with weight loss or at least not gaining any more weight moderation folks.
- Give yourself a general idea of how many calories you’re consuming.
- serving size is supposed to be versus what a portion size actually is.
- It’s always a good idea to look at the serving size on food labels.